Skip to main content

Confessions from an Elf

One solid truth during the holiday season is that there are strong opinions when it comes to the tradition of the elf.  You either love it or hate it with very little middle ground.  I have yet to meet a neutral party, although there may be at least one out there.  If there is one, they aren't speaking up.  And participating in the tradition does not automatically place you in the "love it" category.  In fact...it's probably more likely to firmly plant you on the "hate it" side.  It's easier to love something when you're on the outside looking in and not in the trenches.  I can't imagine that the creators of the elf could have foreseen the uproar and division an innocent idea would cause.  

I'll take this moment to disclose that I am 100% in the love it category.  Don't get me wrong, there are nights that I forget and have to crawl out of bed.  Not every night is a magical display and there are times that he is literally just sitting on a shelf.  Or tossed in the nearest drawer to find.  Some mornings the kids spend exactly 2 minutes looking for him and then move on, which causes me to wonder what exactly the point of it all is.  And I admit I have officially lost the elf...TWICE. As a result, we actually have two elves, but one is still MIA in the basement. All of this could cause a person to come to the conclusion that the elf isn't all it's rumored to be. 

But then...

There are those other, more frequent, moments.  The magical ones that create pure joy and excitement.  Those are the reasons I look forward to bringing out our elf each Christmas.  Because it's not about an elf.  It's about the magic. 

When we first introduced Nick the Elf, I was skeptical.  I didn't run to the store and then rush home to set him up.  Instead I debated and wavered and reluctantly got on Amazon to order.  I knew and understood the commitment I was jumping into should I say yes.  This wasn't going to be a one year deal.  This was truly a tradition that must continue for years -- as long as someone still believes.  In fact, I went back and forth for so long, our elf didn't show up until almost Christmas Eve. Thankfully the 3 year old didn't understand how it was supposed to work. 

When we read the book for the first time and Nick showed up on our shelf, I innocently thought I was starting something fun that Grace would laugh at each morning.  What I didn't realize was, I was actually creating a space for magic and wonder and awe.  Nick quickly became part of the family.  He's the first person they look for in the morning.  They laugh when he does something funny and he gets scolded if he's made a mess or been mischievous.  I'll catch Thomas talking to Nick and informing him of our plans for the day.  Grace will write him notes to take back and share with Santa.  They remember favorite antics from year to year and share the ones they hope he does again.  He has to travel with us when we go to visit grandparents. Every little movement causes them to question how and why.  And on Christmas Eve, when we say goodbye, there's a little twinge of sadness that lingers throughout the day.

I even love our elf so much that he has a place in our classroom.  We have a kindness elf that brings acts of kindness for students to carry out each day.  He adds a little bit of meaning beyond gifts and lights.  

I understand that many people don't share the same warm and fuzzy feelings I have for our elf.  At least twice this year, I've heard people say that the elf is only for the "bad" kids.  Some feel like the elf has to do big, outrageous, messy things and just don't feel up to the task.  I get it! I really do. However, I challenge you to look at it in a simpler way.  What if the elf is just a way for your child to connect to the wonder of the season?  What if it is a way to keep the belief alive a little longer?  I know that everytime my babies leave this house a little innocence dies and a little more of the real world creeps in.  They are forced to grow up a little quicker.  And honestly, I want to do everything I can to prevent that for as long as possible.  So for us, we will invite the magic in, welcome the wonder and joy of the season and embrace our elf for as long as they will let me.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding a Passion that Feeds your Soul

  I love teaching! In fact, I have been accused of being a workaholic...and it's probably true.  I also LOVE being a mom and spending time with my two little ones.  However, most days being a mom and a teacher doesn't leave much time for anything else...especially a personal hobby or passion.  So for the last few years, I've chosen to ignore the things that feed my soul.  I have taken the things that don't center around my family and my job and buried them down deep under daily lists and the "have-to's".  The funny thing about passion though is it never truly leaves you.  You can do what I did and hide it deep under the day to day tasks so you momentarily forget about it.  You can pile on the things that must get done so that there's no time to focus on what drives you and fuels your soul.  You can convince yourself that the "hobby" isn't important and your to-do list carries your worth.  Unfortunately, that has been story of

The Juggling Act: How We Use Our Time Matters

photo:  Planner by  https://www.ivorypaperco.com/ I dropped a glass ball today.  Metaphorically, not literally although that happens often as well.  I had multiple balls in the air and I let a glass one drop.  What is a glass ball?  Let me explain.  Recently I heard an analogy comparing our lives to a juggling act.  Duh! This is not a ground-breaking nor unique idea.  However, this was a new perspective on how we look at this juggling act.  I'd love to credit the person responsible for this because it has changed how I view my day.  However, I cannot remember who said it or where I saw it.  I would assume it was on Facebook because that's where we get all our wisdom these days.  If you recognize the story, please let me know the original creator.   Personally I believe it's brilliant and I hope you find value in it like I did.   We know that every day as a mom, as a teacher, as a wife, etc. is a juggling act.  We usually think of ourselves as juggling a ball for